Ready for a new side dish?
Warm Apple Salad
Makes 4 servings
4 to 5 cups loosely packed spinach or spring mix salad blend
1 lemon, zested and juiced (separated)
1 garlic clove, minced
3 tbsp olive oil
Sea salt to taste
¼ cup onion, chopped
4 apples, sliced
½ cup toasted pumpkin seeds
1. Wash the greens and place in a large bowl.
2. In a small bowl, whisk the garlic into the lemon juice. Stir in the sea salt and lemon zest. Whisk in the olive oil until it’s emulsified into a vinaigrette.
3. Pour half the dressing over the spinach and toss well.
4. In a large skillet over medium heat, heat the olive oil and add in the onion, cooking until translucent and slightly caramelized, about 8 to 10 minutes. Add in the apples, and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Toss in the pumpkin seeds to warm.
5. Add the onion-apple-pumpkin seed mixture to the spinach. Add the rest of the vinaigrette and more salt if desired. Serve and enjoy!
In good health,
P.S. I have just 1 (but I can be talked into 2) spots left for 1-on-1 coaching in June. If you are interested in learning more, you are welcome to schedule a free 15-minute call. We'll chat about your goals and what you need and find out if it's the right fit for us to work together.
P.P.S. If you prefer to check out some details - including the cost - on your own first, I totally get that! I'm the same way. ;-) Check out my 1-on-1 virtual coaching package here.
Is the scale making you GAIN weight and excess body fat?
You might be surprised to find out that this is, in fact, what's happening for many people - certainly most of the women I work with and speak to.
Check out my latest Workshop Wednesday video to learn how and why and what you can do instead.
And then, get rid of that dang scale if it is affecting you in this way too!
In good health,
P.S. If you are on a weight loss / fat loss / wellness journey, we should hang out more! Did you know that I share online workshops, recipes, and more tips to help you transform your body + life FOR FREE? Every week?! Join my email list to get in on this and receive a welcome gift immediately! ;-)
If you are anything like me, having a recipe that doubles-triples-quadruples as a variety of food types (snack, main dish, side dish, appetizer…) feels like a best-kept secret. This recipe has the potential to be that for you, too. Try it out and let me know what you think!
This recipe is plant-based / vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, no added sugar, egg-free, soy-free…but NOT free of flavor! ;-)
Oh, and the tzatziki sauce is really versatile as well.
Greek-Inspired Veggie-Balls with Avocado Tzatziki Sauce
Makes 6-8 servings
For the Veggie-Balls:
16 oz. lentils, cooked
3/4 cup onion, finely diced (set aside a little for the sauce)
2 cloves minced garlic
1 tsp dried oregano
½ tsp cumin
1 tsp coriander
½ tbsp lemon zest
1 tsp sea salt
Ground pepper, to taste
For the Tzatziki:
1 ripe avocado
1 medium minced cucumber, seeds removed. 2 garlic cloves
1-2 tbsp diced onion
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp fresh dill (if using dried, use ½ tbsp) Sea salt and pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Mix together the veggie ball ingredients. Form into 2-inch balls, and place them on a baking pan. Bake for 25 minutes.
3. When it’s time to serve, put all the tzatziki sauce ingredients in a high-speed blender and blend until creamy.
4. Serve and enjoy!
In good health,
P.S. If plant-based and gluten free meals are your thing, make sure you grab my FREE 3-day Meal Plan for Losing Body Fat. Not only will you be working on those health & body goals, but you’ll get an arsenal of new recipes to try at the same time!
FASTING for 12 hours…yay or nay?
Have you ever been confused by nutrition - specifically around fasting? You may hear that it's ok, even beneficial but then are doubtful after hearing from another source that breakfast is the most important meal of the day or that you need to boost your metabolism by eating as often as possible.
If you are nodding your head right now, then you're going to want to watch (or listen to) this recent live video I did on Facebook all about it.
In the video I talk about fasting, what happens inside our body during a fast, and my recommendations for most people, most of the time.
Of course you need to make sure you discuss any changes with a healthcare practitioner that you trust. I have to say that. ;-)
Please note: the 6-week group program I mentioned in the video is no longer open for registration at this time. We are currently working hard on making incredible body + mind transformations. Stay tuned for a future email (likely a few months from now) if you'd like to grab your spot in the program next time!
In good health,
P.S. While this video is only 14 minutes long, we get a little nerdy with the science. Fair warning. ;-)
**INTRODUCING** CUSTOM Meal Planning!
I had a colleague reach out to me recently asking for my best business advice. The first thing that came to mind is ABL….Always Be Listening.
Those of you who have been hanging with me for a while know that I believe real change takes a lifestyle upgrade, education, practice, and accountability. That being said, you've also been requesting meal plans from me for a while. ;-)
I get it! I do. I've seen first-hand how a curated meal plan helps me and my family. It also helps to kick-start results and motivation to continue kicking butt! In fact, someone recently emailed me to tell me she lost 4 pounds on my free, 3-day meal plan! Wow!
So, I have decided to listen to your requests. :-) This service is BRAND NEW and now available to YOU.
What does this entail? The cost is $89 for a 7-day, FULLY CUSTOM plan. After you sign up, I will email you a quick intake form to fill out online that gets me all the info. I need to create this plan for you. Once you've filled out that form, you will have your plan in your hands within 3 business days.
Along with the day-by-day, meal-by-meal plan, I will provide you with a complete grocery list and of course all the recipes!
Pretty exciting, right?
The one pictured above is for someone that wanted just 6 days of a vegan plan. But yours will be 7 days…and doesn't have to be vegan. ;-)
What types of things do I take into consideration when I make this for you?
Your goals. Are you looking to lose weight, reduce bloating, balance blood sugar, have some new inspiration in the kitchen…?
Your allergies / sensitivities. Dairy free. Gluten free. Nut free….
Any particular style you like to eat such as plant-based, paleo, keto, mediterranean.
Your likes and dislikes. Hate beets? I won't include any in your plan. Like guacamole? Bring on the Mexican dishes!
How many people? I can give you a plan for 1 or make sure the servings can feed a whole soccer team if that's what you need.
Leftovers. Yay or nay? You'll see this sample plan pictured above has lots of grayed-out meals. These are leftovers and help save TONS of time in the kitchen. You may want to include lots of leftovers to maximize time, or you may want something new for each meal. Or something in between. Your call.
Cooking time. Do you want fancy meals that may take an hour or more? Or would you like me to stick with things that can be thrown together in 20 minutes or less? You decide.
AND MORE… I can adjust your meals and snacks to a certain amount of protein, calories, sodium, etc. if you have very specific needs.
Are you ready to sign up for your first-ever, fully customized meal plan for yourself or your family? I can't wait to help you!
In good health,
Hello inter-web friends!
Two nights ago I attended an amazing event to raise money for research into natural cancer cures. This event was to celebrate the Iron Moms that were nominated here on Long Island, NY. I discovered what an Iron Mom is - a woman that puts health, nutrition, and fitness at the top of the priority list for herself, her family, and her community. An Iron Mom gives back, volunteers, and feels lit up about the tireless work she's tackling to make a difference. An Iron Mom often has overcome adversity, health struggles, and has seen the light of day. It was a massive honor to be in the company of such amazing women. If you were there, you know what I mean.
In preparation for my speech, I was taking a little inventory on what it is I actually do day in and day out. And I realized...that I have NEVER shared a sneak peak into my private one-on-one coaching program, Pioneer Nutrition and Fitness Coaching. Hmm. Well, I'm changing that today! You should know I can help you. You should know I work virtually, so geographic location is not a barrier for us working together. You should also know that each and every one of my clients is a partner of mine - a partner in our journey towards the healthiest, happiest, most confident version of themselves.
Watch the video for more details and recent results from current clients.
I can help you break the dieting cycle. Shoot me a note here if you have any questions.
Are you mopping the floor when your house is on fire?
Are you chewing gum for the extra calorie burn, but then chugging down a Venti Frap on your way home from work?
Watch this #WonderWednesday LIVE video to see what the heck I'm talking about…and help figure out where to start with your weight loss and health goals.
Then, come back and drop a comment. Tell me, what is one of YOUR big rocks?
In good health,
P.S. It's subtle, but around a minute or so in, I shoo away a neighbor so I can keep talking to you guys! :-O Oops. At least I'm passionate! Haha.
In just 3 days, I am hosting a FREE webinar - The truth about calorie-counting and what you can do instead.
This live event is for you is you find yourself jumping from diet to diet, have ever tried to count your calories or macros, or would like to learn more about your metabolism and a better way to manage portions without making you want to pull your hair out.
Can't wait to see you there!
In good health,
Have you ever wondered what, if anything, your beloved glass of wine at the end of a long & hard day might have to do with your weight loss efforts?
I went live on my Facebook page yesterday to discuss how your (well-deserved!) glass of pinot or merlot is messing with your fat loss efforts. I know, I know....don't shoot the messenger!
Check out the video if you want to learn the 3 ways alcohol consumption can interfere with your weight management and body composition goals.
What's coming up???
FREE Webinar: The Truth About Calorie Counting: Why it doesn't work and what you can do instead.
Whatcha doing next Tuesday, August 22nd at 8 PM EST? Join me LIVE as I talk about the reasons calorie counting does not work for weight loss and tell you what you can do instead!
This free webinar will be hosted inside of my Facebook group, Lean In with Tara Allen Health. The replay will be made available there as well if you can't make it at that time. :-) Join now so you are all ready to watch on Tuesday!
In good health,
[Thanks for rolling with the kiddos interrupting my live video!] :-P
Food quality PLUS food quantity is the secret sauce for healthy fat loss.
I'm NOT a believer in counting calories - at least not over the long-term. I believe, in general, we could benefit from less stress surrounding food choices and body image. However, it IS true that if you take in more energy (calories) than your body uses, you will gain weight.
Quality of nutrition is SUPER important! Less chemicals and additives; more real & whole food. That's what truly nourishes our bodies.
So, if you're looking for both HEALTH and FAT LOSS, the key comes from eating high quality foods in appropriate portion sizes for your body / activity level / hormones.
This is one of the topics that is customized specifically for you in my online program - Pioneer Nutrition & Fitness Coaching. It is a 12-month program, with the option of committing to just the first 3 or 6 months if you're a get-my-toes-wet-first type of person.
Instead of trying every single year to lose the fat, this program takes one year and since it's done in a lifestyle-changing & sustainable way, you'll have to find some new thing to obsess over every year for your New Years' resolution. ;-)
Intrigued? Ready to dive in? Here's the link.
In good health,
Today's blog post kicks off my GREAT & GRATEFUL SERIES that seems more than appropriate to share during Thanksgiving week here in the United States. Kimberly Chacon is an amazing woman, breast cancer survivor, mom to 3 under 2(!), teacher, and now pours her heart and soul into spreading awareness about breast cancer diagnosed in young women. Check out her blog, www.partyoffiveblog.com. Kimberly is not just a survivor, but a mighty magnetic individual that I had the pleasure to meet with in-person. A quick example...she knew I'd be showing up to our meeting with my two kiddos and thought to bring a few seasonal crafts for my toddler to have fun with as we chatted about business and motherhood. There should be more people like Kimberly in this world!
Read Kimberly's incredible story:
I was 28 when I heard the words that changed my world forever. "You have breast cancer." At the time I was working full time, finishing my graduate degree, and living a healthy life. My diagnosis completely knocked my life into a new reality that was dark and frightening. I did not look or feel sick, but I had a tiny lump that I mentioned to my doctor, and that was where it began.
Going through breast cancer brings with it a palette of mixed emotions. Sadness at those we've lost, pain for those engaged in the battle and hope that we are going to find a cure for this vicious disease. Over the years I have participated in different ways with various organizations, and recently I have made it a point to write about my own experience. This is what I'd like you to know about being a young breast cancer survivor:
1. There is no cure for breast cancer and women continue to die everyday. There is a misconception that this disease is easy to treat. Again, it is still a fact that breast cancer does NOT have a cure and while some prognosis are better than others, breast cancer can come back, even years after you have shown to have NO EVIDENCE OF DISEASE.
2. Eight years after my diagnosis I still take a daily medication and while you may never hear me complain about it, there are side effects. It is recommended that I take this medication for ten years following my initial treatment. When you are in your 20's and you imagine ten years of medical treatment it seems impossible. It is life saving and a blessing to have it, but it is also a daily reminder of my past with cancer.
2. Medical research saves lives and quite possibly saved mine. Based on the kind of cancer that I had, I was able to take a "new" drug called Herceptin. It only exists because of extensive research which involves lots of $$$$ and brave end-stage patients that agree to try new drugs. This drug became available two years before I was diagnosed and without it my odds of survival would have been much lower. There was even a Lifetime movie made about the breakthrough starring Mr. Harry Connick Jr.
3. A mastectomy does not mean you get a free, new pair of boobs. Yes, several people made that comment to me while I was in treatment. (Why?? Why would you say that to anyone? Please don't ever say that to anyone.) Quite the contrary. Having a double mastectomy means that you lose a part of yourself and gain significant scars. It means a painful surgery and a long healing process. It means fighting to gain acceptance of a new version of the most intimate parts of your body. It steals a part of your sexuality and it robs you of the basic human choice of breastfeeding your children. It is often all of these things right before beginning six months of chemotherapy. It leaves scars, both physical and emotional. While the procedure and outcomes have improved over the years, do not believe that a mastectomy is an easy solution.
4. Just because your hair has grown back does not mean that you are "finished". After going through the hell that is cancer treatment you are a different person and it takes time to find your new normal. We have gone down a tumultuous road and it takes time to heal. That can mean that relationships change, you make lifestyle changes, or you look at the world in a new way. Be gentle with someone who has gone through treatment, even if it's two years later. Just because we look fine again does not always mean that it's done.
5. As survivors, we are glad there are many awareness campaigns, but we are always concerned about who benefits from all the pink. First, read the fine print on anything you purchase and see what they are actually doing with your dollars. Second, keep in mind that Avon and Komen get tons of money and they have major corporate sponsors, so don't worry about them. What's better than buying pink socks and glitter boas? Donating to organizations that directly benefit research and women like www.metavivor.com or www.pinkdaisyproject.com. If you want to give, make a smart donation.
Becoming a cancer survivor changed my life forever. Chances are that you know someone who has been touched by the disease. How can you take meaningful action? Make a donation to a research program or an organization that directly helps women in treatment. If you personally know a survivor, reach out. Finally, if you're putting off having yourself checked, please make sure you make that appointment. It could be the most important thing you do.
Tara here, again. Thanks, Kimberly, for sharing your incredible story with us!
We're celebrating the GREAT and GRATEFUL for Thanksgiving week! Tell me what is moving you these days. What is great in your life? Who are you grateful for? Please share here or come join the conversation on Facebook at Facebook.com/TaraAllenHealth.com.
Ugh. Alrighty, sorry for the spoiler. If you are amongst the many millions of people that still drink soda on a regular basis, pay attention. And if you've kicked that habit long ago, I still want you to watch this video so you can become an anti-soda ambassador for your friends and family. :-D
In this video, I show you - teaspoon by teaspoon - how much of the white stuff is actually in one serving of this particular ginger ale. It's frightening!
Let's talk about something real quick that the giants in the food industry try to keep secret from us - the "bliss point". This is a chemically created "magic point" of sorts that results from a combination of sugar, salt, and/or unhealthy fat that turns on the pleasure sensors in our brain the same way cocaine does. This bliss point is actively sought out by the chemists that CREATE food-stuff in a lab. It leaves us with intense cravings and addiction to these products. Not cool! And guess what? The more you consume, the greater the sugar, salt, and/or unhealthy fats are needed to achieve the same "high". Doesn't this sound a whole lot like substance abuse? Unfortunately, it IS a very similar process. Here's the caveat… our bodies are really amazing and can buffer a lot of damage we do to it for quite some time. I know this sounds like a good thing, but think about it this way - you can be doing a ton of harm to your organs, digestive system, brain, cells, etc. and not know until wayyyy later in life.
If you have been diagnosed with Diabetes, obesity, high blood pressure, hormonal imbalances, an auto-immune disease, or anything else that you consider to be your 'wake-up call', there's a silver lining. Your body just does not want to let you get away with too much damage. Your body is asking for you to clean up your act earlier on. That's great news!
Watch this video and please let me know where you stand, currently, with your soda consumption. I want to be the catalyst for you to hold yourself accountable. I promise I won't be too harsh. In fact, I believe in very small and sustainable changes over time for lasting results. So don't give up your Coke cold-turkey (unless you feel confident that you can). Instead, how about ONE less soda THIS week? Drop me a comment or email and let me help you. :-)
Now, brace yourself for this… ONE serving of soda equals HOW much sugar?!?!? ...