Let's celebrate today with a healthier version of a NYer's favorite…BAGELS!
Being gluten-free is a lifestyle I've gotten pretty used to over the past 2 years, but bagels are just one of those things that seemed to be missing.
We've purchased some gluten-free bagels, but they're never as healthy as I wish they were and ALWAYS more expensive than I'd like.
So, I've been on a secret mission to make my own version! This recipe is gluten-free, dairy-free, and doesn't even contain any grains! That makes these low on the glycemic index and higher in protein & fiber. They freeze nicely, too - so you can double or triple the recipe and save lots of time. They are delicious as is, and even better when you toast them up and add your favorite spreads.
(Makes 6 bagels)
1.5 cups almond flour
5 eggs, large
1/4 cup ground flaxseeds
2T apple cider vinegar (trust me)
1 T coconut flour
1 T topping of choice (poppy or sesame seeds, caraway seeds, etc.)
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp sea salt (plus extra for additional topping, if desired)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
2. In a large bowl, mix all dry ingredients
3. Mix in vinegar and eggs until well-combined
4. Place batter in a large ziplock and cut one corner off the bottom (this helps to make the bagel shape)
5. Pipe batter into bagel shape onto greased baking sheet. For best results, place a round, oven-proof THING inside the middle to maintain the hole. Small ramekin bowls work well. Be sure to grease those as well.
6. Top bagels with any toppings you'd like to use.
7. Bake for 20-25 minutes (or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean and the top is golden-brown.
8. Allow bagels to cool completely before removing from pan.
***I now use a silicone doughnut mold and it makes this recipe so much easier!
In good health,
P.S. Would you like MORE from me? MORE healthy recipes, MORE workouts, MORE videos, free challenges, raffles, etc.? Come hang out with us in my private (free) Facebook group - Lean In with Tara Allen Health - where I share daily posts to help you lead your healthiest life! Can't wait to see you there. :-)